Female Hollywood Actresses Biography
The Hollywood actresses featured on this list are some of the most respected for their professionalism. They carry themselves with both dignity and grace. While each keep their personal lives so very personal, their acting careers speaks for itself. The films brought to life by the mega talented Hollywood Best of the Best Female listed have wow every time they grace the silver screen
10. Jennifer Connlley in Once Upon a Time in America (1984) as Young Deborah was the break through role that swiftly rose her to becoming a household name. She gave a magical performance in Labyrinth (1986) and The Rocketeer (1991) as Jenny Blake. The gorgeously told Mulholland Falls (1996) saw Jennifer bring vividly to life the character of Allison Pond. A mature actress emerged with the role of Alicia Nash in A Beautiful Mind (2001) opposite Russell Crow. She brilliant met the challenges of that role with class. She delivers an impressive performance in the newly release Blood Diamond (200() as Maddy Bowen along side Leonardo DiCaprio and Dijmon Hounsou.
9. Penelope Cruz born in Spain burst onto the Hollywood movie scene in a charming film called Woman on Top (2000) as Isabella Oliveira. She followed that performance with yet another impressive performance in All the Pretty Horses (2000) as Luisa. Her career from there took off. She would find herself working with Hollywood's finest leading men. Film roles opposite Johnny Deep in Blow (2001) as Mirtha Jung and Nic Cage in Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001) as Pelagia solidified Hollywood stardom for Penelope. She went onto co-star with Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky (2001) as Sofia Serrano and Matthew McConaughey in Sahara (2005) as Eva Rojas. She currently can be seen in Volver (2006/I) as Raimunda. A role for which she has received a well deserved Golden Globe nomination.
8. Kate Hudson's role in the adorable Party of Five" as Cory (1996) was the start of something special. Adorable is a word that describes Kate's essence in film roles like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) as Andie Anderson and You, Me and Dupree (2006) as Molly Peterson. She proved perfect comedic time in both roles. In contrast, she effortlessly portrayed the turbulent life of Penny Lane in Almost Famous (2000) and brought intensity to the role of Naomi Preston in Gossip (2000/I). No matter the genre Kate is an actress who is always a pleasure to watch.
7.Annette Bening was launched into the film industry after appearing in a number of 80's TV show including Miami Vice as Vicky (1987) with a role in Hostage (1988) (TV) Jill. Roles showcasing her immense talent like Evelyn Ames in Postcards from the Edge (1990) and Regarding Henry (1991) as Sarah Turner followed. She charmed more than just the audience in her co-starring with Warren Betty in Bugsy (1991) as Virginia Hill. It was a choice role in American Beauty (1999) as Carolyn Burnham that would see her rise and rise in Hollywood go through the roof. Her versatility sees her to light up every role in every genre. She presently can be seen in Running with Scissors (2006) as Deirdre Burroughs for which she has received a Golden Globe nomination.
6. Maggie Gyllenhall's earlier films include Waterland (1992) as Maggie Ruth and Homegrown (1998) as Christina the Babysitter. Roles in Secretary (2002) as Lee Holloway and 40 Days and 40 Nights (2002) as Sam saw her finally come into her own. She wowed Hollywood and the world in Mona Lisa Smile (2003) as Giselle Levy before going onto play her most important role yet. As Allison Jimeno in the amazingly told story of America's worst terrorist attack World Trade Center (2006), Maggie was just stunning. Her portrayal of a heart stricken with fear expectant mother touched us all deeply.
5. Meryl Streep began her career more three decades ago. Within those decades, Meryl has provided some of the most spectacular performances in cinematic history. Her hauntingly beautiful performances in The Deer Hunter (1978) as Linda and The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981) as Sarah/Anna are unforgettable. Film roles in Silkwood (1983) as Karen Silkwood and Out of Africa (1985) as Karen Christence Dinesen Blixen provided the brilliance that only Meryl can bring. She can currently be seen in the critically acclaimed The Devil Wears Prada (2006) as Miranda Priestly.
4. Catherine Zeta Jones born in Wales, UK graced British TV in The Darling Buds of May" as Mariette (1991-1993), The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" as Maya (1993), and Titanic (1996) as Isabella Paradine. Not long after was she storming Hollywood in as the daring Elena Montero/Elena Murrieta opposite Anonio Bandera The Mask of Zorro (1998) and exciting Virginia Baker alongside Sean Connery in Entrapment (1999). She shined brightly in mighty and powerful Traffic (2000) as Helena Ayala. She delivers a mind-blowing portrayal of Marylin Rexroth in Intolerable Cruelty (2003) and a thrilling performance in Ocean's Twelve (2004) as Isabel Lahiri. She can next be seen in her up and coming film Death Defying Acts (2006) as Mary Mc Gregor.
3.Nicole Kidman is an Australian actress who started her rise and rise on TV. She began to emerge with rolies in Windrider (1986) as Jade, Watch the Shadows Dance (1987) as Amy Gabriel, and the thriller Dead Calm (1989) as Rae Ingram. Powerful performances in Days of Thunder (1990) as Dr. Claire Lewicki, Malice (1993) as Tracy Kennsinger, and The Peacemaker (1997) as Dr. Julia Kelly made Nicole Kidman's presence in Hollywood assured. It was the magical portrayal of Satine in Moulin Rouge! (2001) and The Others (2001) as Grace Stewart that affirmed Nicole movie star status. The depth of her talent graces each role with elegance and integrity. We can only expect to be pleasantly surprised by her f future endeavors.
2.Cate Blanchett. begin her career in her native Australia. She soon came to the attention of Hollywood in roles like Paradise Road (1997) as Susan Macarthy and Elizabeth (1998) as Elizabeth I, and as Meredith Logue in The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999). She provided a mystifying performance in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) as Galadriel from which she became not only sought after by Hollywood, but also one of Hollywood's most respected actresses. Cate has received Golden Globe nomination for Notes on A Scandal (2006). She currently can be seen in the impressive Babel opposite Brad Pitt
1. Reese Wtherspoon is Hollywood's Southern Bell. Her depute in the world acting came in the form of a mesmerizing performance as young girl in The Man in the Moon (1991) as Danielle 'Dani' Trant. A few made for TV movies later and Reese was on her way to leading lady status in films like Pleasantville (1998) as Jennifer and Cruel Intentions (1999) as Annette Hargrove. It was a role in film about a dizzy blonde called Legally Blonde (2001) as Elle Woods that would see her rise to the top. The films success summoned the sequel and the rest as they say was history. Her magnificently brought to life portrayal of June Cater in Walk the Line (2005) won her both Golden Globe and Oscar awards. Reese in currently filming the thriller Rendition co-starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Meryl Streep.
The Hollywood actresses we love to watch have mesmerized us through the decades. From comedy to drama the women on this list have covered it. Each brings their own uniqueness and style to Hollywood. They are woman who set an example and lead their personal lives by that example. The world is somehow enhanced for their contribution to the arts and film industry on a whole.